I haven't been maintaining my Ferret program because I've been working a rewrite of the core engine that is super-duper. But then, my rewrite got too ambitious and it's in a state of perpetual incompleteness. Sigh.
So I've gone back and fixed the bugs with the original Ferret. In particular, 64-bit is the major issue. There is a bug preventing it from working on 64-bit. I've fixed the bug and now it seems to work just fine.
I've checked it into http://ferret.googlecode.com. If you are a developer, I can add you to the list of contributors.
Also, I've made it link to "libSegFault.so", which should print out more useful crash dumps. If it crashes, you can send that output to me (firstname.lastname@example.org).